We serve approximately 1,400 low-income individuals annually. Most program participants are young women and their families, including teens and young adults.
- Mobility Mentoring® Services — CWU’s Mobility Mentoring® Services staff and programs—including the five-year Career Family Opportunity program, Mobility Mentoring Centers, and Woman to Woman program—offer highly individualized basic skills training, education, and career guidance to homeless and stably housed low-income women and their families in order to promote economic independence.
- Emergency, Transitional, and Supportive Housing – CWU's housing programs serve approximately 420 families a year. CWU is one of the largest providers of family shelter in Massachusetts.
- Boston Neighborhoods Healthy Families – A home-based program that provides first-time parents under 21 years old with education and parenting and life skills in order to prevent child abuse and promote economic independence.
CWU conducts research into the economic, political, and social barriers disadvantaged women face and continually evaluates its programs. CWU translates its research into web-based tools to equip low-income families with information and resources.
- Economic Independence Calculator allows web visitors to determine how much they need to earn to cover basic living expenses, by region, in Massachusetts.
- Hot Jobs provides job descriptions, education and training requirements, and links to schools for 11 high-in-demand occupations that take less than two years of training and pay family-sustaining wages.
CWU advocates for public policy and legislative initiatives to assist low-income women in attaining economic self-sufficiency.
- Voices Advocacy Council educates legislators and testifies at public hearings.
- Voices Advocacy Network alerts members to latest issues and pending legislation.
AdministrativeOne Washington Mall
Boston, MA 02108
Programming10 Perthshire Road
Brighton, MA 02135
Additional sites: Cambridge, Dorchester, Mattapan, and South Boston
- President/CEO Elisabeth D. Babcock, MCRP, PhD
- 120 employees
- $10 million operating budget in FY14
Find Out More
617.259.2921 or firstname.lastname@example.org